“Just like the silence between the notes sparks music, I believe the mystery unfolds in the space connecting the artwork and the observer. All these visual manifestations are dimensions in which we can recognise ourselves”.
Through deep questioning and observation, alongside his studies on creativity and education, Samu constructs an individual style that takes place in the distance between psychedelic art and art brut.
Carvajal started his career as a commercial artist working in Advertising. After a few years of prizes and successful campaigns, he decided to focus his work on encouraging observation rather than selling products.
The artist takes inspiration from the world around him, combining elements from mass media to ancient philosophy. By not naming his artworks he invites the observer to become part of the creative experience.
Samu works mainly on paper and canvas. Usually defining a concept for a collection and then employing flow techniques to complete his artworks.
b. 1987 / Santiago, Chile.
Based in Sydney, Australia.
– The Other Art Fair / Sydney, Australia.
– Art Gallery of New South Wales / Sydney, Australia.
– Museum of Contemporary Art of Chile / Santiago, Chile.
– Casa de Los Diez Foundation / Santiago, Chile.
– Red Rattle Theatre / Sydney, Australia.
– Down/Under Space / Sydney, Australia.
– IV Contemporary Art Biennale / Buenos Aires, Argentina.
– Galería 13 / Santiago, Chile.
– Galería Lira / Santiago, Chile.
– Galería Puerta Azul / Santiago, Chile.
Samu Carvajal lives and works on Aboriginal Land in so-called “Sydney”. Historians name this area Kuringai. However, it is contested to be of either Darramurragal or Birrabirragal lands. For more information please visit: https://www.aboriginalheritage.org/history/clans-of-sydney/